Music of the Year 2016
So for the fifth year running, every time I came across some new music I liked in the last 12 months I added it to a ‘best of the year’ Spotify playlist. And for the third year running, the list ended up at around 70 songs (back in 2012 and 2013 it hit 100 songs – maybe I’m getting more discerning). From that, a bit like my favourite films list, I’ve picked out a Top 10 Songs of the year, and 10 which nearly made it. Some choices were chosen to acknowledge a great album, others just did it for me on their own. The only limiting rule was that I only allowed one song per artist.
Didn’t Quite Make It (but have a listen, they’re all great)
- Go! – M83, Mai Lan
- I Exhale – Underworld
- Suen?os – Santana
- You, Darling You – Treetop Flyers
- Are You Lost In The World Like Me? – Moby And The Void Pacific Choir
- Particles – Island Songs Vi – Ólafur Arnalds, Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir
- I’m In Love – Teenage Fanclub
- Miss Fortune – The Coral
- High Castle Rock – Chris Forsyth, The Solar Motel Band
- Red Eye – King
The Top Ten
10. Can’t Stop The Feeling! – Justin Timberlake
9. Ether – Mogwai
8. Black Rabbit – Turin Brakes
7. Choke – King Charles
6. Death Of A Bachelor – Panic! At The Disco
5. The Sound – The 1975
4. I Can’t Give Everything Away – David Bowie
3. Drive It Like You Stole It – Sing Street
Admittedly largely because it was the centrepiece of my film of the year, but nevertheless a joyous standout song.
2. Because I’m Me – The Avalanches
One of the surprise comeback albums of the year was patchy, but when it was good it was sublime.
1. Kiss Me Goodbye – ABC
The album concept which had disaster written all over it (“The Lexicon Of Love 2”) turned out to be quite glorious. This was my highlight.
And here’s the Spotify playlist of the whole 72 songs…
If you enjoyed this post or even found it useful, I'm sure others would appreciate a Tweet or a Facebook share (see left)...